“When was the last time I was with a group of friends who were totally focused in a conversation?” I kept thinking that over lunch yesterday when I noticed that all five people except one did not grab his/her phone at least once during the meal. I cannot remember the last time I sat down to talk or to eat with people, and one of us did not grab our smartphones to text, tweet or get on Facebook or Instagram. I tend to think right after I get my phone to see if I got a text or to literally scroll down my “FB” page if the conversation with the people is actually boring. It obviously isn’t tedious, or else I wouldn’t be together with them, and what I have realized recently is that it feels as if it weren’t enough to just be with them. It’s as if I needed more contact, more people texting me or commenting on my Facebook pictures/posts/groups/pages/anything! After finally realizing that “we scan for an opportunity for any type of contact at every given moment”, as Small and Vorgan establish, it made sense that looking at my phone every two minutes didn’t make me feel more missed or special or popular simply due to the fact that it’s virtual contact. I know, it is sad that it took me 5 years of Facebook to actually perceive this.
I came across an article today entitled "L.A. restaurant offers discount for checking your smartphones at the door". Not only do I admire this restaurant's preoccupation with "want[ing] to create that environment of home and [...] want[ing] people to connect again", but it really makes me sad that bribery has become a means of us keeping our phones away. I am not saying that it's a terrible solution, I just think it makes us look completely dominated by our gadgets. Which, unquestionably we are.
I just cannot figure out the reason behind our need to have
virtual contact all the time. Shouldn’t
we give more value to the people that we actually have face-to-face contact?
Another reality that simply puzzles me is that when I’m caught between giving
attention to my virtual conversations at the same time as my “real” ones, I
just cannot focus and be totally intrigued by either one. What is the solution
to this problem of mine then? Simple, control myself and keep my phone away.
...
It
is not that simple, though…
Unfortunately, we cannot simply keep our gadgets away from
our reach for much longer anymore because technology has become completely
integrated within our society. It defines our society. Our phones and computers
play a huge and crucial role in every aspect of our lives, whether it is for
the virtual contacting, for using it as a planner, a map, a camera or a door
out of boredom. However crucial our
gadgets are now a days, they still make us less able to focus more deeply on
any task or conversation, which makes us maintain a horizontal connectivity to
everything and everyone. Rather than actually deeply concentrating on less
throughout our day, we choose to pay more attention to more while not fully
grasping anything. Our addiction to our phones and the Internet take the blame
for this.
From experience, I know how many people had to control
themselves not to check their phones at least once in an hour and a half classes
in high school. Digital natives, as my generation is called, have a harder time
concentrating in every single aspect in life, but not because they are always
thinking about their phones or their computer. Due to the amount of information
we receive electronically every single day, our brain is able to process and
filter more of this information (Small and Vorgan), which is a positive aspect,
don’t get me wrong. Simultaneously, however, this state of continuous partial attention that we have created with the increasing
use and addiction to the Internet seems to make us bored more quickly. We keep
searching for more contact, more interesting topics, articles, conversations,
people, excitement… virtual excitement… It’s like we’re never fully satisfied
and clearly never fully concentrated. What worries me about this is that we’re
missing out on the physical contact with people we actually see. And by see I
do not mean seeing their BBM picture on their screens.
To
expand on this increasing lack of interest on everything and anyone, I would
like to share one of the most awkward social situations I have ever found
myself in. I went for a late lunch with a couple of people from my group
project in one of my classes today. We got to know each other better earlier
today, since we spent the afternoon together. So, after getting my food and
sitting down last, I started eating and realized both of them were on their
phones, laughing and smiling independently, and were simply not communicating
with each other. Three minutes into my meal I was simply feeling so out of
place that I decided to make small talk, asking about their dorms, their college
life, if they were homesick, all of that boring stuff, and yet I just managed
to receive monosyllabic answers from both. I was puzzled, worried and bored
too! After receiving this reaction from them I remembered this article I read
where the author, Tony Dokoupil, claims the Internet is making us “more
depressed and anxious, prone to obsessive-compulsive and attention-deficit
disorders, even outright psychotic”. I just really wish we would simply stop
our hands from slipping into either our bags or pockets to get our phones
before putting them on the table and ruining a potential deeper connection with
people you still don’t know that well.
Disappointed
would not even describe how I felt towards their attitude during lunch. Not
only did I find it rude, but it just emphasized how sadly addicted we are to
this tiny computer we carry around with us all the time. What if they did not
have their phones with them during lunch? Would we have been able to talk and
connect more? The depressive truth is that we would not, exactly because our
minds have developed to monitor more in quantity, but not in depth. Even if
they did not have the phones with them, our conversation would still not have
been more interesting because we simply cannot connect as deeply and
significantly as we did before. There’s no established pattern as to where our
focus runs off to whenever we are engaging in activities we are not interested
in; we just act as if we are not in the frame of mind to be in that place, at
that moment, doing that specific activity. We are becoming boring people
because we are getting bored easily. Keep your phone away from you for longer
periods of time, and I am positive we’ll see ourselves improving our vertical
connectivity to everything.




Personally, I am not used to using my phone as a media device. However, I do admit that I reach for my phone when I find myself waiting (or at other socially awkward times). Then again, what makes certain times socially awkward is when you are around people who are using their phones and not engaging in conversation.
ReplyDeleteIt is a human habit to engage with those one already knows, which is why many people prefer to talk to a friend through messaging and Facebook instead of the people that they are around. Yet, I do wonder what it would be like if phones were put away. Would we engage more, socially?
Your blog was fantastic. I think your spin on the idea and the personal touches really made it all the more thought provoking. I know that I check my phone constantly when in awkward situations or if the conversation has gradually lulled to a halt. Now normally this is incredibly rude behavior, however when I am in the process of doing it I seem to forget my manners and just allow it cause “everybody does it.” But your blog really made me think that I should stop because it could indeed be making other people uncomfortable or it could seem as if I do not want to socialize with the people I am with at the time.
ReplyDeleteI especially love this opinion, because I think it is indeed very true:
“Tony Dokoupil, claims the Internet is making us “more depressed and anxious, prone to obsessive-compulsive and attention-deficit disorders, even outright psychotic”. I just really wish we would simply stop our hands from slipping into either our bags or pockets to get our phones before putting them on the table and ruining a potential deeper connection with people you still don’t know that well.”
This is so funny because when my boyfriend and I go out to eat, he has to physically move our phones away so we aren't tempted to look at them while eating. While it was really annoying at first, its really nice to actually have a conversation over dinner. I think restaurants should definitely give little baskets to hold the phones on tables so people can enjoy their food rather than worry about the Twitter-sphere.
ReplyDelete